Podcast: The Next Step for Content Marketing
Podcasts are everywhere nowadays. You can listen to podcasts about conspiracy theories, news, Dolly Parton, gaming trends, how the brain works and just about anything else. They are becoming increasingly popular as everyone from Shaquille O’Neal to Seth Meyers to Neil deGrasse Tyson seems to be starting their own podcasts. But it’s not only famous people who start podcasts. In 2020, there were over 1,000,000 podcasts, and famous people hosted not all. Lots of people become known through their podcasts.
Not only are there many podcasts being produced, but there is also a large audience for podcasts to be received. 50% of US homes are podcast fans, and 68 million people in the US listen to podcasts weekly. Podcasts are famous worldwide as well. In Italy, 7 million people listened to a podcast last month. This data from PodcastHosting.org begs the question, why do so many people love podcasts?
Why People Love Podcasts
Podcasts are easy to engage with. There’s no need to sit down and take your reading glasses out. You don’t even have to look at a screen to watch; all you have to do is listen. For a busy parent, listening to a podcast while washing the dishes or folding laundry could turn those work moments into a peaceful moment for self-care.
For the business person, commuting to work might be the perfect time to put on a favourite podcast and relax. What about the artist? Packaging orders might be more fun with an entertaining podcast on. What about the bored kid on a long drive? A podcast full of short, exciting stories and songs might make the car ride much more bearable.
Teachers listen to podcasts to learn more about a subject, entrepreneurs listen to podcasts for inspiration, and your potential clients listen to podcasts too. There’s a good chance a good portion of your audience listens to podcasts. Why not capitalize on that?
Podcasts and Digital Marketing
If you are not yet convinced to start a podcast, let’s look at how they are incorporated into digital marketing.
Like any other digital marketing channel, SEO is the key to success. Choosing the title of your podcast and what keywords to choose is the best way to incorporate SEO. If your podcast is on Spotify and is about how you started your brand, having a title that includes brand building or a success story will help you reach the right audience. These keywords are what people will search for and make your podcast searchable.
Ensure your podcast is optimized to appear on the first page of google search results will help you get listeners. When choosing the title of your podcast, making it something that stands out but is also searchable is essential. For example, there is a podcast called But Why: A Podcast For Curious Kids. The podcast answers children’s “but why” questions, like “why is the sky blue” or “why do baby teeth fall out” in fun but informative way. The podcast’s title is pretty searchable because it has a good keyword “podcast for curious kids”.
It’s not only about the title. You need to use keywords in your podcast description as well. Incorporating broader keywords and more successful keywords will help you reach the right audience. When looking at what to make your episodes about, you need to consider SEO. You want episodes that will speak to your audience and incorporate keywords. Putting in the time to make an editorial calendar and do keyword research will help your podcast be search engine optimized.
Just like any other social media platform, there is a new audience on each one. More potential clients are listening to podcasts. Podcasts allow you to expand your brand and portray a new side of it. This will help you reach a wider audience. Imagine you are a digital marketing agency, posting blogs about digital marketing trends and giving advice. You could tell success stories in your podcast and make things more fun. You could even interview clients or talk about your branding journey. Podcasts are a place to get creative and talk about what interests you. They can be educational focussed or more fun. Remember your audience when deciding what to make your podcast and individual episodes about.
Brand Awareness and Recognition
Podcasts portray your brand. They really give it a voice. They create more brand loyalty because they make your brand more real. Like video puts a face to your brand, podcasts give it more personality through voice. Having a podcast helps your brand stay top of mind for people. If you want more tips on how to increase brand awareness, check out this blog.
Choosing Your Podcast Style
If you are still reading, it’s probably because you see the power of the podcast and want to know what steps you can take to start your own podcast. The first thing you need to consider is what type of podcast you will have and how it will portray your brand while also considering SEO. Then you can start thinking about where to post your podcast, make an editorial calendar, and promote it. The good news is there are tons of podcast styles for you to choose from. Let’s look at the most common styles:
- Interview. Podcasts are best with more than one person because they are more of a conversation, so this style is prevalent.
- Solo. Solo podcasts do exist! Although it is harder to pull off, some awesome solo podcasts exist. The trick is to make this type of podcast more of a un monologue than just someone reading.
- Fiction storytelling. This type of podcast may differ from your business’s style, but it is popular.
- Nonfiction storytelling. This type of podcast has an extensive range of podcasts. Anything from crime stories to the well-known podcast, This American Life fits under this category.
- Panels. This type of podcast has a few guests or hosts discussing different topics. This is a style that could work well for businesses.
- Repurposed content. Think A Prairie Home Companion. It’s all about retelling stories and repurposing content. It’s easy to start because you think of all the content your business probably already has.
- Conversational. This type of podcast is more low-key and about having fun. Most commonly, it has two hosts chatting about their interests. This could look like two people speaking about recent exciting news for a business, then getting into a more personal story and talking about some business tips.
- Educational. This could be a great type of podcast for business. YOu can teach about specific topics and explain how things work. It makes you a trustworthy resource to people in your field.
- Comedy. People love having a good laugh. Usually, this type of podcast is an aspect of another podcast, like interviewing a comedian. But it is still its own style.
- Hybrid. Lastly, we have the hybrid. This is where you mix and match different types. One week you tell a story. The next, you have fans call in and tell a story, and then you interview someone. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your style.
When picking your podcast type, consider what content you want to talk about and what your listeners want to hear. (Hint: ask your audience what they are curious about). You also want to consider how your podcast will best represent your brand and voice. If your brand is education-focused, having fiction storytelling or comedy podcasts won’t make sense. Instead, an education-style podcast makes more sense, maybe by interview or solo.
The final thing to consider is how you will stand out. You won’t get many listeners if you make a podcast with precisely the same idea as someone else. Of course, this is hard when there are 1,000,000 podcasts out there, but putting thought and time into it will help. Don’t forget to ask your audience on other social media if they would be interested in listening to your podcast and, if so, what they would like to hear.
Digital Marketing Podcasts
If you want inspiration or to learn more about digital marketing, check out some digital marketing podcasts. One of the most popular is This Old Marketing, where experts discuss digital marketing trends and provide insight into content creation. It might inspire you on what to make your podcast about.
Another popular digital marketing podcast is Modern Marketing Engine. This show is all about marketing tips through interviews. To give you a better understanding as to what it’s about, I will list some titles: “Growth Marketing Through Hyper-Personalisation”, “Why B2B Marketing and Sales is Broken and How To Fix It”, and lastly “, How To Harness Customer Conversations In Real-Time To Drive Results”.
Podcasts are not easy but don’t be afraid. They are a great new avenue of digital marketing to be explored. Any business can start a podcast to help build its brand and market digitally. They allow you to reach your audience, portray your brand, build recognition, and incorporate SEO. Podcasts are making a comeback, so don’t get left behind. When making a podcast, the most important thing to remember is to have fun and get creative!